* We Perform Best When No One Tells Us What To Do
* Trafficking Of Native Women is widespread
“Sixty percent of the women surveyed entered prostitution or pornography before the age of 18. And about one-fifth had been sexually exploited before their thirteenth birthday. When the girls become adults, the exploitation often continues. They remain in prostitution, but the law often no longer views them as victims, but as criminals…The report found that Native women have been disproportionally impacted by sexual exploitation. For example, Native American women make up about 25 percent of all women on probation in Hennepin County for prostitution-related offenses, according to data from 2007. But Native women represent only 2.2 percent of the county’s population.”
* When Black Men and White Men Partner in Sexism
“When Black men refuse to acknowledge the sexism of their behaviour, they are supporting the idea that a group can and should be targeted, thus cementing their own marginalization. You cannot gain freedom by continually employing the masters tools.”
* How Other People’s Expectations Control Us
* Millions of Britons unable to cope with modern life, says study
“Failure to tackle psychological and emotional needs such as loneliness can store up damaging problems as vulnerable people spiral into depression, making them more likely to suffer unemployment or poor physical health.”
* FDA staff urge more antipsychotic review in kids
“‘much more likely to experience an adverse metabolic effect than adults, and the likelihood was directly correlated with age.’ Metabolic effects can include abnormal weight gain, diabetes and increases in cholesterol and blood pressure.”
* The FDA Wants to Declare Shock (ECT) Machines Safe Without a Safety Investigation. Tell Them NO!
* The latest from Bonkers
‘Check out the newest addition to the Marvelous Mental Medicine Show, an “educational” poster for kids produced by Janssen, maker of the
ADHD drug Concerta. The poster is Swedish but we’ve provided an English translation. Yes the poster is authentic, and yes our translation is accurate.’
* The Anti-Depressant Trap Leads To Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis, Lithium Toxicity – It happened to me, sans lithium.
‘Instead of long-term anti-depressant use leading to health problems and physical dependence (or addiction, if you prefer), it’s now leading to people being re-diagnosed with another disorder. I’ve been deeply suspicious of the whole “Your depression is bipolar disorder” line being bandied about much of this decade and I wonder how many people with long-term depression problems have wound up being diagnosed with bipolar disorder 2 principally as a result of a reaction to anti-depressants. I don’t have an answer. But I do have a hunch. And I don’t like it.’
* Anti-Depressants, Antipsychotics Worst Drugs For Falls In Elderly
* Atheist Goes Undercover and Attends Christian Gay-Conversion Therapy Sessions
‘What he found was precisely what you would think: These programs do nothing to “convert” you from gay to straight. They just try to make you suppress your (gay) sexual urges.’
The Tao of Chaos – A great blog I recently found.
* So, “Normal” Would Be Monopolar?
“Humans have natural rhythms of body and mind, like waves on the surface of the ocean. Things rise, things fall, there is a cycle as in anything else. You learn to live with them and move with them, or you resist them and are battered and make poor progress.”
* 12 Stepping With A Surround-Sound Power – Excellent description; fits my own views far better than “panentheism”.
“Certainly, there is not a god in Taoist writing, no higher power to take anything away. It’s more of a Surround-Sound power.”
* Powerlessness? That’s Like Suicide, Right? – Some interesting observations about an AA concept I’ve had trouble with.
“It is admitting that you must determine what acting like a human being constitutes to you; you must first seek knowledge of what concepts like right and good and honor mean to you, and then you must live the life you believe is good and right or you will continue to feel like you are bad and wrong.”
* This Makes No Sense
“Doing something for another first removes it from yourself. It displaces, in your mind, the responsibility for your own life to a place where it does not belong: to other people. Doing a thing for or because of another literally makes no sense: they cannot take, or be blamed for, what you do in your own mind or with your own hands. You can’t hand off your responsibility for yourself.”
No Media Kings
* Time Management for Anarchists
* Free Anarchomic Released – Time Management for Anarchists Flash animation and comic
body impolitic – Another blog I just found.
* Babies? or Baby Women?
“I’m not a boy; I’m not a girl; I’m a BABY!”
* Fat Cat Fight Continued
comment from Patia, following one from Lynne Murray – I hadn’t quite put my finger on this dynamic before, but have certainly run into similar!
“It was so bizarre. My cat was nowhere near overweight. I could only conclude that the vet was passive-aggressively talking about me. Needless to say, I found a different vet.”